Monday 23 March 2015

Visual Arts and Animation: Anthropomorphic Frog

This task was arguably my favourite task to date, not only because it feels like the culmination of my work so far, but because this is my favourite character design yet. I began by looking a lot at frogs, but for the sort of character I had in mind (a grotesque crime boss), I started looking at toads and landed on the general aesthetic I wanted. I used my mood board of frogs and toads to inform the design of the character, and began sketching out my character, paying very close attention to the shape of the toad heads. This task saw me return to doing my work entirely in Photoshop, rather than using physical line art in my sketchbook. I think that this caused me to land on the very sketchy, somewhat rough style I got for this piece. Once I had settled on a design I liked, I began working on the final image, using a more intimidating pose and composition. For the colour palette, I went for a very muted colour scheme, to reflect the the grimy noir style character I had created. I am really pleased with how this character turned out, to the point where I am considering doing a lot more anthropomorphic creatures set in this same style and world. Harold Stubbs 'The Boss' is the figurehead of the crime empire. His grotesque appearance betrays his sharp mind and unmatchable level of intelligence. With hundreds of loyal minions across the city in every district enforcing his strict law, he rules the criminal underworld with an iron, webbed thumb. But one has to question who pulls the strings of Stubbs, after all, there are a lot more menacing creatures higher than toads on the food chain, is there an even greater crime mastermind ruling this city from the shadows?

No comments:

Post a Comment