Saturday 12 September 2015

Summer Cyborg Project: Concept

Our project for the summer was to concept and model a cyborg character for a third person sci fi game. After spending a couple of months winding down from the last term, I set about starting to come up with some ideas for a character. Being someone who writes a lot, and someone who has this fleshed out world that I've been working on for a while, I found that this cyborg character would be a potentially perfect fit for such a world. As a result, I knew exactly the sort of aesthetic I was going for, and the kind of backstory he would have. I went for a dirty, scrappy sci fi aesthetic, as it reflects the ruined and polluted world I had in mind. The rest of the character background fell into place and I soon had an outline of what I was connecting, and how he should look. I set about creating some silhouettes to test out what would be the most interesting form for the character, and let my imagination run free with body shapes and sizes.
I landed on number 3 eventually since the shape resonated with me the most as a heroic protagonist. I was fond of the others, however some struck me as either too robotic, or too 'boss battle' like; maybe I'll save them for later. Once I had my silhouette picked out, I used it to inform the next stage of the concepting and began work on the final image, and then, the front and side views. The front and side views were particularly helpful during the concept stages, as I began to get a grasp pf what he looked like from other angles.
I went with the more defined line style for my front and side view as I knew it would be the most helpful during modelling; obviously I was still bothered about the overall aesthetic but the front and side view were more for my benefit when modelling, and I designed them to be more functional than 'pretty'. The pretty rendered concept would soon follow however...
With my final version drawn and finished, I then set about finalising the details about the character and setting the scene for my character pitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment