Friday 17 October 2014

Sketchbook: Sci fi Gun

Our brief this week was to create a sci fi gun, either one handed or two handed, that shoots projectiles. We were tasked to create a mood board, sketch ideas, and present a finished image of the gun from a side profile view. This is the mood board I worked with. I took inspiration from artist concepts, as well as concept art from the Borderlands game series.
Using this as inspiration, I then proceeded to sketch out a few ideas in pen, paying close attention to making the designs crisp, precise and most importantly, believable. Here is a selection of the designs I sketched. I particularly liked the look and feel of the top one, as it seemed the most authentic and possible, whilst still looking suitably futuristic. I did like the second design, but since our brief outlined that it should be a projectile based gun rather than laser or energy, the organic flowing design seemed less appropriate. The bottom design seemed quite generic, so I decided to focus on developing the top design more, making it more futuristic and adding a more unique twist.
Developing these sketches, I ended up with this design. I decided to add a blade to the weapon to make it more unique, as well as to add depth to the design and give it multiple functions. With this in mind I started to develop a little backstory whilst I was colouring in Photoshop.
This is the final design for my sci fi gun. I call it the Notched Blade Rifle. I decided to make it quite gritty with a hand made, scrappy feel to it. I showed this through the small details like the messily applied blue trim that borders the gun, and the tape that is wrapped around the handle and trigger of the gun.
'Born as a makeshift weapon during the final moments of Commander Thorne's legendary battle against the Emerald Army, the Notched Blade Rifle, or more commonly nicknamed the Rebel Thorn, is now standard issue for the rebel army of Old London. The rifle, famous for its unrivalled power, small clip and agonisingly slow automatic reload comes equipped with a long blade cast from thundersteel, allowing the fight to continue whilst the weapon reloads. Emblazoned with the colours of the rebel army, they wield the rifle in battle, allowing deadly accuracy from afar and brutal aggression in close quarter combat. It truly is the pinnacle of weapons technology, and the deadly edge that will turn the tide of the war.'

2 comments:

  1. Nice work…just make sure your lines are straight I see a slight bend where the barrel extends from the stock. Could cost you dear in the war against mutants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing it out, I used a ruler for the majority of the base lines, must have gotten sloppy on the barrel!

    ReplyDelete